Sunday, September 25, 2011

Irish Mesh

Sample knit with Caron Simply Soft, 12 stitches on US size 8 needles

If I were skilled at sewing, I would love to knit a little bag using this stitch, and sew in a satin liner.  I think it would look very pretty in a lighter weight yarn and lined with contrasting fabric!  Whatever you use this stitch for, will look very pretty.  My swatch did have slightly curling edges, so if you use this stitch for a scarf, I would add a border to help keep the fabric flat.  

Work with a multiple of 3 stitches
Row 1: K2 *YO, Sl 1, K2, PSSO* Repeat from *, Knit last stitch  (PSSO=Pass the slipped stitch over the 2 knit stitches)
Row 2: Purl all stitches
Row 3: K1 *Sl 1, K2, PSSO, YO* Repeat from *,  Knit last two stitches
Row 4: Purl all stitches

Repeat these 4 rows for pattern.  Enjoy!



2 comments:

redpotato said...

Hi, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind posting a video about a few knitting techniques. I have been self-teaching myself how to knit via videos over youtube and recently bought a stitch book. However, I do not really understand some of the techniques used, and I was hoping to find someone who might be willing to post a video showing how it is done. The particular technique in question is (slip 1 purlwise [yarn at back]) versus (slip 1 purlwise [yarn in front]) and vice versa with the slipping a stitch knitwise. I would really appreciate any help. Thank you.

Louise said...

Hi, It has been a long time since you demonstrated this stitch so maybe problem has been solved, BUT I would be very happy to sew you a liner for a bag.
Please contact me if you are still interested.
I love the stitch. Thanks for the demo.
Louise
dcstudio@chorus.net