Saturday, November 5, 2011

A Pretty Stitch: Vintage Stitch Series

Sample knit with Patons Angora Bamboo on US 7 needles

This weeks stitch comes from My Knitting Book, by Miss Lambert, which was published in 1845.  There is no real name for this stitch.  The book simply calls it "A pretty stitch for a purse".  Good enough for me!  This stitch does look awfully familiar to me though.  I briefly went through a few of my stitch books and posts on this blog, but couldn't find it.  It's possible I am wrong, but I could swear I know this stitch!  Perhaps there is a similar stitch I am thinking of, not this particular one.  If anyone recognizes this stitch, please let me know.  I am curious to see if this has a name in some other book.

UPDATE 11/5: jessontube1 has found the stitch!  It is pebble stitch, which I posted back on May 4, 2011.  Sorry for the duplicate, all.  I will try to get another one up tomorrow - one that I haven't posted already!  **Second Update 11/6:  I happened to come across a very similar stitch in The Big Book of Knitting Stitch Patterns, but called Knotted Stitch. 

This is a very simple and pretty stitch, useful for many other items besides a purse :0)

Cast on an even number of stitches

Row 1: Knit  (You will only work Row 1 once, it is not included in the repeat)
Row 2: Knit 1 *K2tog* Knit last stitch
Row 3: *Knit 1, Make one by knitting into the bar between the stitch you just knit and the next stitch on your left needle* Knit two.  (When you come to the last two stitches, you will not knit the bar between them.  If you do, this will give you an unnecessary extra stitch)
Row 4: Knit
Row 5: Purl

Repeat from Row 2 for pattern.

And of course, here is the video.  Enjoy!



6 comments:

silke2world said...

I really like this vintage stuff and had to take a look to the book: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/33502/33502-h/33502-h.htm#Pretty_Stitch_for_a_Purse

It is amazing: written down such a long time ago and now the stitch has its own video on youtube. Thanks for showing.

I failed on trying to post this comment on youtube. Don't know why.

Sapphires-N-Purls said...

I love looking at the old books and newspapers - and then I look in my stitch books and find them under a different name (or two). It is amazing that they have survived all these years :0) If you look on Google books, there are quite a few old books that have oodles of stitches and garments. It takes some getting used to the abbreviations they use, but they are all usually pretty well explained somewhere at the beginning of the books.

rtwdreamer said...

Just found your video, I picked up a golden hands pamphlet that called this stitch the pimperenel, it shows off different colored rows very well!

Unknown said...

Dear Catfur, thanks for your you tube videos..brilliant! I am just starting knitting again after 30 years and saw this baby blanket in a store with a lovely pattern that I would like to attempt. Can't find it in any videos on you tube and was wondering if you would look at the photo and advise me please! Many thanks, Helen. My email is Helen.simonson@gmail.com

Sapphires-N-Purls said...

Can I see the picture?

Lost child said...

This stitch is commonly found on the 5HBJ (five-hour baby jacket). Here is a link to one of the nicest versions. http://wishingiwasknitting.blogspot.ca/2007/07/baby-jiffy-knit-sweater.html